Sunday, July 10, 2005

Lost in Lost in Translation

Watched Lost in Translation again last week. L watched it with me, but she just does not get it. She prefers a movie with some sort of action plot that reaches a climax and has a good or happy ending. Lost is not like that.. it is a story of a moment in time, and of some people in that time and place. It does not have a beginning or ending. It is a story of life, or a part of life.

Really not sure why I like it so much. I like Bill Murray, and find his performance in this movie very good. He does not even need dialog - the expressions on his face do the speaking. Another reason might be that I have been in Tokyo, and al lot of what I saw in the movie, brought back memories of my trip there.

Anyway, I picked up a copy cheap on eBay. I don't normally buy DVDs or VHS movies, because I rarely watch the same movie more than once. But I wanted to see the out-takes, the interviews, all the little extras they bundle into a DVD offering. Plus of course, I want to watch it again.. and again.

4 comments:

Danielle said...

I haven't seen that one, but want to. I love movies that don't really have a "story", but are just like following along with that person. Sort of a day in the life kinda stuff. "Napoleon Dynamite" was hilarious. And one of my faves is "Best in Show".

Britt said...

I liked this movie, too. But I did find it a little disconcerting at the end.

Anon Emous said...

D: I have seen (and liked) Best of Show, but then again, I like Eugene Levy. He was part of the era that spawned Bill Murray, Steve Martin, Martin Short, Dan Ackroid, etc. All started in Improve, and worked their way to SNL before going their separate ways. I will look for "Napoleon Dynamite".

NS: how was disconcerting to you? True, it was not a typical 'happy' ending, but then again, it just couldn't be, could it? There was just too much separating them.

Britt said...

Oh, I know it was impossible for there to be a "happy" ending. And, I know it's often considered a mark of maturity for a film to not end happy. I respect it for being more like real life than the usual Hollywood fare. I like that their relationship was based on more than just lust. I'm glad the characters went their own way in the end. For that reason, I liked the movie intellectually.

But, emotionally, I guess I want to watch movies to escape from real life! I can experience disappointment and frustration in my own life. I don't need a movie to get that sensation! So, while I like the reality of "Lost in Translation," I couldn't watch it over and over like I would a movie that lets me escape.

Now, "Dodgeball," "Star Wars," all the recent comic book movies... repeated viewings are in order for me! Oy. I'm shallow.